Welcome to Sherwood Forest Golf Club
One of the finest heathland golf courses in Great Britain
You will find us in the East Midlands to the east of Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, U.K. We are a long established heathland course alongside the pines, silver birch and oak trees of Clipstone Woods within the legendary Sherwood Forest.
We are very proud of our reputation as one of the oldest and finest heathland golf courses in Great Britain and are currently rated 84th best in the British Isles and 47th in England. The course was intially designed by Harry Colt and subsequently enhanced by James Braid.
The English Golf Union, when staging the 2006 England Boy’s Amateur Stroke Play Championships, described Sherwood Forest Golf Club as being 'in a league of its own'. As a premier course the club has hosted many national competitions over the years, including the 'British and English Seniors' and regional qualifying for the 'Open Championship'.
We welcome you as a possible future visitor to Sherwood Forest Golf Club. For bookings or reservations, please use our Enquiry Form , contact the Golf Professional on (01623) 626689 or for more information please click here .
Vision and Mission Statement
To be widely regarded as one of the best heathland golf clubs in the UK and Ireland.
"A members club, providing top quality facilities and proudly welcoming all golfers to a first class golfing experience in an affordable friendly atmosphere whilst ensuring the conservation of our heathland environment."
Records begin with the Club’s formation in 1895, moving to our present location in 1912 when the Sixth Duke of Portland granted the lease of a portion of his Welbeck Estate for the pursuance of the game of golf. Only four years later we record courtesy of the course being granted to Officers of the Scottish Highland Infantry Regiments in trench warfare training camps adjacent to the twelfth tee. The ‘Clipstone Camp Cup’ and the ‘Scottish Trophy’, donated by these Officers, are amongst our most revered treasures.
By 1921 with an expanding membership of over 200, Sherwood Forest Golf Club became the proud owner of its own course when the ever benevolent Duke sold the freehold to the members for £1,500.
From an original Harry. S. Colt layout the course was redesigned in the 1920’s by James Braid the well known Open Champion and golf architect. On completion he reported 'a wonderfully good golf course, as good, in fact, as any inland course in the country.'
Eighty years later and to his great credit, apart from a few extensions, we still wrestle with Braid’s course.